Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Cheshire

11 January 2014

1898 – Cottages, Port Sunlight, Cheshire

Architect: Ernest Newton “These cottages form part of Messrs. Lever’s “model” village at Port Sunlight. They are built near Bebington Station, and were erected by Messrs. Beckett. The architect is Mr. Ernest Newton.”...

03 January 2014

1881 – Barrow Court, Chester, Cheshire

Architect: John Douglas This was one of Douglas’ largest country houses, built for the grain merchant, Hugh Lyle Smyth. It has been demolished. Also known as Barrowmore. “Barrow-court is pleasantly situated on an...

01 May 2013

1920 – Houses, Alderley Edge, Cheshire

Architect: F. Milton Cashmore From The Building News, July 23 1920: “These houses. now nearing completion, have been planned so as to give the living rooms advantage of an exceptional view- extending to...

11 March 2013

1862 – Church of St. Paul, Hooton, Cheshire

Architect: James K. Colling The church was built between 1858 and 1862 to a design by James K. Colling for the Liverpool banker R.C. Naylor at a cost of £5,000 (£350,000 as of...

11 March 2013

1870 – St. Alban’s Church, Tattenhall, Cheshire

Architect: John Douglas It is believed that a church has existed on this site since the time of the Norman conquest. Although the tower and parts of the present church date from the...

11 March 2013

1869 – Restoration of Chester Cathedral, Cheshire

Architect: George Gilbert Scott, From The Building News: “WE give this week two views of Chester Cathedral as it will appear when restored. Tradition, in this as in so many other cases, ascribes...

11 March 2013

1867 – Albert Memorial Industrial Schools, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Architect: David Walker In 1864 Sir William Jackson donated land for the building of the Birkenhead industrial school. The school was to stand in the centre of the poorest area of Birkenhead –...

11 March 2013

1879 – St. Michael’s Church, Ditton Hall, Cheshire

Architect: Henry Clutton Founded when Jesuits who had been expelled from Germany in 1872 and settled in Ditton. The church was constructed between 1876 and 1879, cost £16,000, and was funded Lady Mary...

21 December 2012

1813 – Eaton Hall, Cheshire

Architect: William Porden / William Burn When Robert Grosvenor, then the 2nd Earl Grosvenor, and later the 1st Marquess of Westminster, inherited the Eaton estate in 1802, it was decided that the Samwell-designed...