Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Church of Ireland

19 January 2010

1820 – St. John’s Priory, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Robertson Priory with medieval roots, much of the original church was demolished or incorporated into this small parish church. The Augustine priory was founded by William Le Mareschal in c.1220. In...

08 January 2010

1630 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

St Mary’s Church of Ireland is, curiously, incorporated into the outer wall of St Patrick’s College, and was originally built as a private chapel for the castle. In 1248, it was made a...

07 January 2010

1807 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda, Co. Louth

A simple First Fruits church from 1807, with a three bay nave with pointed windows with Y tracery. It has a rectangular sanctuary at the eastern end. The tower is of three stages...

07 January 2010

1752 – St. Peter’s Church of Ireland, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Hugh Darley Built on the site of an earlier church, St Peters is a fabulous example of a Georgian church. It has been described as “probably the finest provincial Georgian church in...

06 January 2010

1821 – Former Church of Ireland, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Donated by the Church of Ireland to Carlingford this restored medieval church (the former Church of the Holy Trinity) is also known as the Holy Trinity Heritage Centre. The tower is an earlier...

06 January 2010

1865 – Church of Ireland, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: John Semple / T.H. Wyatt Originally designed by John Semple in 1825, only the western end with his trademark austerity survives. The rest is from 1865 by T.H. Wyatt. Semple’s church was...

30 December 2009

1730 – St. Mary the Virgin & St. John the Baptist Cathedral, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Richard Cassels A much modified Georgian Cathedral with Victorian glass and fitttings from 1890, the Cathedral of St. Mary the Virgin and St. John the Baptist, John Street, is the oldest building...

12 November 2009

1857 – Clonmel Church of Ireland, Tipperary

Architect: Joseph Welland Somewhere under the Victorian additions is a medieval church – largely rebuilt by Joseph Welland in 1857, and later added to by his son in 1864. There is a fine...

11 November 2009

1818 – Church of Ireland, Cahir, Co. Tipperary

Architect: John Nash