Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Church of Ireland

13 April 2010

1686 – St Michan’s Church of Ireland, Church Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Robinson This structure dates from 1685-86 and was built on the site of an earlier structure founded by the Danes in 1095. Originally St Michan’s was built to serve the...

09 April 2010

1931 – St. Thomas Church of Ireland, Cathal Brugha Street, Dublin

Architect: Frederick G. Hicks The original church of this parish stood on Marlborough Street but was destroyed like much of the area in fighting during the Civil War of 1922. During the reconstruction,...

09 March 2010

1831 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

A cruciform structure with pinnacle gables, tower and a graceful spire, was built in 1831. It has two memorials to the soldiers of “The Great War” (1914-1918). On an interior wall at the...

17 February 2010

1868 – St. Ann’s Church of Ireland, Dawson Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Newenham Deane The original church on this site by Isaac Wills, designed in 1720 but never fully completed, was demolished in 1868 to make way for the current structure. Designed...

16 February 2010

1861 – Former Church of Ireland, James Street, Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland Former Church of Ireland, now sadly missing most of its spire, and desconsecrated. For many years a commercial premises.

16 February 2010

1821 – St Stephen’s Church of Ireland, Mount Street, Dublin

Architect: John Bowden Centred in the middle of Mount Street Crescent, St Stephens’ is better known to Dubliners as the Peppercanister due its distinctive spire. Started in 1821 and designed by John Bowden,...

10 February 2010

1757 – St. Mark’s Church, Pearse Street, Dublin

With its main entrance front facing onto Mark Street, St Mark’s is an interesting building set back from the street still within its grassy churchyard. Built between 1729-57, the main front looks unfinished,...

08 February 2010

1828 – Christ Church, South Main St., Cork

Architect: George Pain / W.H. Hill Also known as Holy Trinity Church. Originally constructed in 1720 to a design by John Coltsman. By the 1820s, it was in a poor state of repair,...

05 February 2010

1860 – Molyneux Church and Asylum for Blind Females, Leeson Park, Dublin

Architect: Rawson Carroll Winning entry for an architectural competition held in late 1859. Unsuccessful entrants included William G. Murray, John McCurdy, and William Barre. Foundation stone was church laid in June 1860 with...