Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Church of Ireland

28 January 2010

1866 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Howth, Co. Dublin

Architect: J.E. Rogers St Mary’s stands on a pretty elevated site next to the entrance to Howth Castle. Designed by J.E. Rogers, who was a student of Benjamin Woodward, it is an attractive...

28 January 2010

1823 – St Andrew’s Church of Ireland, Lucan, Co. Dublin

A prominently sited church which acts as a landmark in the village. According to Edward McParland, in James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (1985), St. Andrew’s may have been based on a design by James...

28 January 2010

1865 – Church of Ireland, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Architect: J.E. Rogers A gothic revival church commissioned by Lord Holmpatrick and sited close to the older and now ruined church and churchyard. The building has quite an austere exterior despite its off-centre...

28 January 2010

1790 – Ruined Church of Ireland, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Remains of former Church of Ireland in old graveyard next to the current church. Similar to many churches across the country, this tower probably was part of a simple First Fruits church with...

27 January 2010

1860 – St. John the Evangelist, Mounttown, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland Designed as a Church of Ireland, and originally opened for public worship on 23 May 1860; consecrated 16 June 1864, it is now used by a conservative Catholic group who...

26 January 2010

1830 – Monkstown Church of Ireland, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple & John McCurdy Originally built in 1789, but re-modelled in 1830 by John Semple, the Church of Ireland in Monkstown is an extravagant piece of 19th century church architecture. Extended...

26 January 2010

1795 – Church of Ireland, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

The church which dates from 1795 has had two enlargements. The first was in the 1820s when the tower and spire were added. There were some “improvements” by Welland & Gillespie in 1865....

26 January 2010

1860 – Sandford Road Church of Ireland, Ranelagh, Dublin

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon The first Dublin commission of Belfast firm Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon, this little Italian Romanesque church replaced an earlier one of 1826. In 1880, the original galleries were...

22 January 2010

1832 – St. Laurence’s Church of Ireland, Chapelizod, Co. Dublin

Built in 1832, the little church has a much older tower, dating from the fourteenth century, that was remodelled in 1859.