Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr


01 October 2015

1780 – St. Catherine’s Church, Meath St., Dublin

“The chapel belonging to the parish formerly stood in Bridge foot street at the north side of Thomas street, but it being dilapidated, about 1780 a subscription was raised amongst the parishioners for...

23 September 2015

1836 – St. Mary’s Cathedral, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath

Built in 1836, it was demolished in 1936 to make way for the new Christ the King Cathedral. Designed to accommodate 6000, dedicated 15 Aug 1836, architect unknown.

21 September 2015

1908 – Presbyterian Church, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal

Architect: John McIntyre Constructed in 1905-08 to replace an earlier thatched-roof church building. The centenary of the present meetinghouse was celebrated by the congregation in April 2006, but the church wasn’t fully finished...

18 September 2015

1849 – St. Peter’s Church of Ireland, Bandon, Co. Cork

Architect: Joseph Welland The first church built on the present site was in 1614 with the help of Richard Boyle, the Earl of Cork. The town walls enclosed the church and the church...

16 September 2015

1885 – Wesleyan Church, Warrenpoint, Co. Down

Architect: William J. Watson Also known as the “Coke Memorial Church” after the Methodist preacher Thomas Coke, construction started in August 1884 with the church opening in 1885. It was built on the...

16 September 2015

1880 – Wesleyan School & Chapel, Rathgar, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Holbrook / William Stirling Built over ten years by two architects – the chapel of 1872-74 by Thomas Holbrook; and the manse and school of 1880 by William Stirling. The illustration...

26 August 2015

1875 – St. Catherine of Sienna, Dominican Church, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Church for the Dominicans, foundation stone laid in May 1873. Although dedicated in September 17 187r, the spire was not completed until 1884. The mosaic decoration in chancel & chapels...

12 August 2015

1885 – Fortwilliam Park Presbyterian Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Henry Chappell In June 1880, architects were invited to submit plans in a competition with prizes of £30 for the winner and £10 for the runner up. The plan was for a...

29 July 2015

1879 – Presbyterian Memorial Secession Church Buildings, Botanic Ave., Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A three bay church in rough sandstone constructed between 1877-79, it became the Kingham Mission for the Deaf in 1899. Now only a retained facade as the site was...