Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

churches

20 July 2009

1878 – Brompton Oratory Competition, Kensington, London

An architectural competition was announced in January 1878 to design a new church. It was not limited to Catholics, and offered prizes of £200 and £75. The chief requirements were: the style was...

20 July 2009

1877 – Christ Church, Westminster Bridge Road, London

Architect: Paull & Bikerdike Part of a complex of buildings that included an adjoining school and presbytery by the same architects. Bombed during the Second World War, and only the Lincoln Memorial Tower...

20 July 2009

1908 – St. Nicholas Church, Plumstead, London

Architect: Greenaway & Newberry Perspective View including plan published in The Building News, December 18th 1908.

16 July 2009

1877 – Trinity Presbyterian Church, Streatham, London

Architect: Ernest George & Peto The church was built in 1877 situated on Pendennis Road, Streatham. In 1972, when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged, it became the Trinity United Reformed Church. Grade...

16 July 2009

1876 – St. Georges Church, Tufnell Park, London

Architect: George Trufitt The design of the former St. Georges Church in Tufnell Park Road is based on a medieval church in Salonica. In the 1970’s the church was sold and a new...

16 July 2009

1875 – Church of The English Martyrs, Tower Hill, London

Architect: Edward Welby Pugin Original design by Edward Welby Pugin who died in 1875, the remainder of the design work including the interior being completed by Pugin & Pugin. As published in The...

16 July 2009

1875 – General Baptist Chapel, Westbourne Park, London

Architect: J. Wallis Chapman Now demolished – replaced by a modern circa 1950s church.

16 July 2009

1875 – Church of the Ascension, Lavender Hill, London

Architect: James Brooks Pictured is the original design for Church of the Ascension published in 1875, but not completed until 1883. The architect James Brooks discovered during construction that he had to pour...

16 July 2009

1873 – St. Gabriel’s, Newington, London

Architect: J.E.K. Cutts Perspective View, West Elevation, and Cross Section published in The Building News, September 26th 1873. “The foundation-stone of this church, of which we give illustrations, will be laid on Monday...