Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

churches

16 September 2013

1834 – Trinity Church, Catherine St., Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: Joseph Fogerty Built as a Church of Ireland chapel for a nearby Asylum for Blind Women. The money for construction was raised in Ireland and England by Rev. Edward Newenham Hoare. Now...

16 August 2013

1858 – Presbyterian Church & School, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William J. Barre Simple Presbyterian church, probably by William Barre, with slightly later school adjacent.

14 August 2013

1863 – Saint Brigid’s Church, Killeshandra, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Hague Incomplete as designed and illustrated, Hague’s fantastically ornate spire wasn’t constructed and was capped off at the top of a simplified version of the tower. Finished in local stone with...

13 August 2013

1890 – Competitive Design for Holy Trinity, Cork

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Competition entry to design a facade for Holy Trinity Church in Cork city. The church was started in the 1820s to designs by George Pain, with the facade and...

13 August 2013

1876 – Carlisle Memorial Methodist Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn Designed in the Gothic Revival style by noted architect W.H. Lynn and completed in 1876, the church was home to one of the largest Methodist congregations in Belfast. The church...

13 August 2013

1858 – Church of the Holy Trinity, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Architect: Joseph Welland The central part of the church was constructed by 1843 to the designs of an unknown architect – on a t-shaped plan. By the mid 1850s, extending was required, and...

25 July 2013

1776 – St Anne’s Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Francis Hiorne Commisioned by by Arthur, 5th Earl of Donegall, and named after his wife, St Anne’s was designed by English architect Francis Hiorne of Warwick. Constructed on the site of the...

25 July 2013

1870 – St. Enoch’s Presbyterian Church, Carlisle Circus, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Erected in the early 1870s, it was one of the largest Presbyterian churches in all of Ulster. St Enoch’s had a magnificent theatre-like interior with two tiers of galleries...

17 July 2013

1874 – St. Peter’s Church, Eaton Square, London

Architect: Arthur W. Blomfield St. Peter’s was designed in a classical style by the architect Henry Hakewill, completed by 1827, and featured a six-columned Ionic portico and a clock tower. In 1874, the...