Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

churches

16 July 2009

1873 – Design for Church of St. Patrick, Kenway Road, Kensington, London

Architect: Henry Conybeare The designer Henry Conybeare was not a prolific architect; but an engineer. He had begun his career in India, where in the early 1850s he designed and laid out waterworks...

16 July 2009

1865 – St. Pauls Church, Bethnal Green, London

Architect: B. Bigginton Bombed during the Blitz of the Second World War, St. Paul’s parish was united to St. Matthew’sin 1951. The church was demolished.

16 July 2009

1861 – St. Stephens Church, South Lambeth, London

Architect: John Bennett Consecrated in 1861, the church could seat 1,200 people. By the 1960s the congregation numbers had collapsed and the decision was taken to demolish the church. It was totally removed...

16 July 2009

1860 – St Pauls Church, Haggerston, Hackney, London

Architect: Arthur W. Blomfield Saint Paul’s was consecrated in 1860. In 1971 the benefice and parish were united with St. Michael and All Angels, London Fields, Hackney which became the parish church of...

16 July 2009

1860 – Holy Trinity Chapel, Knightsbridge, London

Architect: Raphael Brandon & Henry M. Eyton The new church, a building in the Early Decorated style with seating for 600, was designed in competition by Raphael Brandon and Henry M. Eyton. S.S....

15 July 2009

1905 – Methodist New Connexion Church, Brighouse, Yorkshire

Architect: J. Wills & Sons

15 July 2009

1897 – Church of St. Magnus, Bessingby, Yorkshire

Architect: Temple Moore

15 July 2009

1879 – St. Margarets Church, Ilkley, Yorkshire

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw Norman Shaw’s appointment as architect was confirmed at the end of 1873 following the formal transfer of the site to the Church Commissioners. He was instructed to draw up...

15 July 2009

1874 – St Luke’s Church, Dewsbury, Yorkshire

Architect: Holtom & Connon From The Building News, November 6 1874: “This church is about to be erected on a hillside, the upper portion of which is bounded by Leeds-road, one of the...