Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

churches

09 July 2013

1816 – Church of The Assumption, Callan, Co. Kilkenny

By an unknown architect, the catholic church in Callan dated from around 1816. A stern classical exercise, it has fine columns on the west front with a rather unusual tower and spire. The...

09 July 2013

1872 – Holy Trinity Church, Westport, Co. Mayo

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane Fine Church of Ireland on site provided by 3rd Marquess of Sligo who also provided £1200 towards cost of erection, replacing church of 1797 on different site. Completed and...

12 June 2013

1840 – St. Patrick’s Church, Ballyroan, Co. Laois

St. Patrick’s is a simple rectangular church with a flat-ceiling interior.

12 June 2013

1869 – St Mark’s Church of Ireland, Borris-in-Ossory, Co. Laois

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Simple rectangular church with unusual round tower to the south. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.

12 June 2013

1850 – St. Thomas Church, Rosemount, Co. Westmeath

Fine mid-nineteenth century Roma Catholic church that is quite reminiscent of earlier Board of First Fruits churches.

12 June 2013

1933 – Corpus Christi Church, Mount Temple, Co. Westmeath

Architect: T.F. McNamara Romanesque church constructed between 1930-33, and designed by T.F. McNamara, former partner of William Hague. Modelled in the Romanesque style of St. Teresa’s Church in Avila, Spain.

12 June 2013

1834 – St. Brigid’s Church, Raharney, Co. Westmeath

A simple T-plan catholic church constructed shortly after the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829. Typical of many constructed at this time, renovated by William A. Scott in 1903.

12 June 2013

1945 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Carndonagh, Co. Donegal

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Large Roman Catholic church that proclaims its position over the town and countryside. Done in a vaguely Italianate style with the campanile and crossing tower and dome, described as...

05 June 2013

1847 – St Peter’s & Paul Church, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare

Architect: William Deane Butler / William Hague Designed in 1846 by William Deane Butler, but never completed. The interiors were instead completed by William Hague circa 1880. The original intention was for twin...