Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

churches

21 March 2014

1966 – St. Joseph’s Church, Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan

Architect: Philip Cullivan Built to replace an older church erected in 1834. A central part of the design was to allow natural light throughout the church. Four sources of light are arranged, one...

20 March 2014

1863 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The church’s current external and internal appearance owes much to the extensive works undertaken by Welland & Gillespie for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It is typical of the early 19th...

19 March 2014

1876 – Presbyterian Church, Donemana, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William McElwee Still in use today, this is a fine Presbyterian chirch finished in local limestone on a slightly elevated site above streetlevel. “Donemana, where this church is being built , is...

19 March 2014

1876 – St. Mary’s Church, Broughderg, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William McElwee Closed in the 1980s and replaced by a modern church nearby. Now semi-derelict. “This church us being built in a mountain district of the extensive parish of Lower Badmey, county...

11 March 2014

1861 – Design for SS Peter & Paul Church, Moate, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John Bourke Although the foundation stone was laid in 1861, a disagreement between the architect John Bourke and the parish priest, in effect the client, meant that work stopped. Work began again...

11 March 2014

1868 – St. Paul’s Church of Ireland, Glenageary, Co. Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones The cost of this church was provided out of a bequest by a Miss Jane Shannon, a wealthy lady of Belfast, left to build a number of churches in...

05 March 2014

1881 – Cunningham Memorial Presbyterian Church, Cullybackey, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Cruciform church constructed to replace an earlier church of 1781 on same site. With its 130 ft spire, the church is very much a local landmark. External walls of...

01 March 2014

1832 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: William J. Booth / J.H. Fullerton Designed in a Norman revival style by the architect William Booth for The Drapers Company who also paid for much of the renovation and construction of...

01 March 2014

1868 – St Matthias Church of Ireland, Loup, Co. Derry

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The ecclesiastical district of Ballyeglish began in 1866, on land donated by the Salters Company. The building was constructed from white limestone from the nearby Drapers Company estate, relieved...