Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

churches

25 March 2014

1831 – 2nd Presbyterian Church, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: William J. Booth This classical barn style church was erected in 1831 as the Meeting House for the congregation, which had seceded from the 1st Presbyterian Church on Stonard St., in 1818....

25 March 2014

1827 – Presbyterian Church, Ballykelly, Co. Derry

Architect: Richard Suter Constructed by the Fishmongers Company London who owned the land around Ballykelly for the local populace after they discovered the poor condition of the existing church. Richard Suter was Surveyor...

25 March 2014

1884 – Design for St. Patrick’s Church, Kilkenny

Architect: Walter G. Doolin Unsuccessful entry in a limited competition to design a new church in 1884. By 1887, the Irish Builder was reporting that “owing to the lamented death of the late...

25 March 2014

1871 – Design for Church of Ireland, Caherconlish, Co. Limerick

Architect: E.H. Carson Not constructed as illustrated – the church as built was a single-cell structure with porch and vestry – both of which have decorative doorways. Instead of a tower, a simple...

25 March 2014

1864 – Design for Wesleyan Chapel, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Largely constructed as designed and still standing today. The adjoining resident was never constructed. “It is of Early English character, about 53 feet in length by 22 feet, terminating...

25 March 2014

1885 – St. Michael’s Church, Castletown Geoghegan, Co. Westmeath

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Largely constructed by 1885 of local limestone with Tullamore limestone dressings – the tower, spire, and organ gallery were later added by T.F. McNamara to O’Callaghan’s original designs. The interior...

24 March 2014

1861 – Design for Unitarian Church, Dublin

Architect: James Bell Unsuccessful entry in competition to design a new Unitarian Church on St. Stephen’s Green. This entry by was described in The Irish Builder: “the materials proposed to be employed in...

21 March 2014

1966 – St. Joseph’s Church, Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan

Architect: Philip Cullivan Built to replace an older church erected in 1834. A central part of the design was to allow natural light throughout the church. Four sources of light are arranged, one...

20 March 2014

1863 – St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The church’s current external and internal appearance owes much to the extensive works undertaken by Welland & Gillespie for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It is typical of the early 19th...