Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

churches

25 July 2013

1870 – St. Enoch’s Presbyterian Church, Carlisle Circus, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Erected in the early 1870s, it was one of the largest Presbyterian churches in all of Ulster. St Enoch’s had a magnificent theatre-like interior with two tiers of galleries...

17 July 2013

1874 – St. Peter’s Church, Eaton Square, London

Architect: Arthur W. Blomfield St. Peter’s was designed in a classical style by the architect Henry Hakewill, completed by 1827, and featured a six-columned Ionic portico and a clock tower. In 1874, the...

16 July 2013

1849 – St. Mary’s Church, Saggart, Co. Dublin

Work began in 1844 on the foundations of Saggart church, the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Work on the structure began in 1847, and the dedication of the church...

16 July 2013

1873 – Church of St. John the Baptist, Yengarie, Queensland

Architect: Frederick Rogers Published in The Building News, November 14 1873: “The view of this church, taken from the northeast, represents a design in which the excessive heat of the climate has been...

15 July 2013

1875 – St. Andrew’s Church, Adforton, Herefordshire

Architect: J.P. Seddon St. Andrew, Adforton was built as a Chapel of Ease to Leintwardine parish in 1875. It is simple and small rectangular building, with a wagon roof. Adforton also doubles as...

15 July 2013

1923 – War Memorial Chapel, Dean Close School, Cheltenham

Architect: Leonard W. Barnard The School, originally “The Dean Close Memorial School”, was founded in 1886 in memory of local former of Cheltenham and Dean of Carlisle Cathedral, Francis Close (1797–1882). In the...

13 July 2013

1827 – New Whitechurch, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple In 1827, a new parish church, officially titled ‘New Whitechurch’, was consecrated, blessed and opened for public worship by the Archbishop of Dublin. The church’s architect was John Semple, the...

13 July 2013

1880s – St. Patrick’s Church, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Small Roman Catholic Church surrounded by presbytery and school, all finished and detailed in stone.

12 July 2013

1810 – St. Munis Church of Ireland, Forgney, Co. Longford

Unusual church design with two curving bays flanking the tower over the entrance. The impressive bell tower and unusual vestibules were added in 1813 at the expense of the Countess of Rosse in...