Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

churches

05 March 2014

1881 – Cunningham Memorial Presbyterian Church, Cullybackey, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Cruciform church constructed to replace an earlier church of 1781 on same site. With its 130 ft spire, the church is very much a local landmark. External walls of...

01 March 2014

1832 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: William J. Booth / J.H. Fullerton Designed in a Norman revival style by the architect William Booth for The Drapers Company who also paid for much of the renovation and construction of...

01 March 2014

1868 – St Matthias Church of Ireland, Loup, Co. Derry

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The ecclesiastical district of Ballyeglish began in 1866, on land donated by the Salters Company. The building was constructed from white limestone from the nearby Drapers Company estate, relieved...

26 February 2014

1900 – Presbyterian Church, Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim

Architect: Nicholas Fitzsimons Originally built in 1866, but destroyed by fire in 1899 which left only the side walls standing. Rebuilt to designs by Nicholas Fitzsimons, and still in use today. Located on...

20 February 2014

1134 – Cormac’s Chapel, Rock of Cashel, Co. Tipperary

Cormac’s Chapel, consecrated in 1134, is the most important building on the Rock of Cashel, from an architectural point of view. Begun in 1127, it is a very sophisticated structure for a Irish...

08 February 2014

1898 – Chapel, Workhouse, Nottingham

Architect: Arthur Marshall Following the demolition of the Nottingham Union workhouse in the 1890s to make way for the Victoria Station (itself since closed and demolished), a new workhouse was built at Bagthorpe...

03 February 2014

1838 – St. John The Baptist Church, Clontarf, Dublin

Architect: Patrick Byrne / Ashlin & Coleman Original church designed by Patrick Byrne in a Perpendicular Gothic, opened in 1838. Described in Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Ireland: “Clontarf chapel was built after a...

01 February 2014

1901 – St. Alban’s Church, Blackburn, Lancashire

Architect: Edward Goldie Opened in 1901, designs first published in The Builder in 1897. Still in use as a Roman Catholic parish church today.

28 January 2014

1887 – St. Cuthbert’s Church, Kensington, London

Architect: Hugh Roumieu Gough The church was built in 1884-7 by the architect Hugh Roumieu Gough. The exterior is in red and black brick. This project is now complete he church is remarkable...