Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr


26 February 2015

1935 – Savoy Cinema, Bedford Row, Limerick

Architect: Leslie C. Norton The Savoy Cinema was designed by English architect Leslie C. Norton with an Art Deco exterior and atmospheric interior The Savoy featured both live stage shows as well as...

12 January 2015

1936 – Rialto Cinema, South Circular Road, Dublin

Architect: Frederick James Macaulay Opened in November 1936 and closed in 1970. A large auditorium designed to seat 1600, meant that it was usable as a car showroom, a function it carried out...

20 February 2014

1882 – Garfield Chambers & Regent Cinema, Royal Avenue, Belfast

The building, Garfield Chambers was built in 1882 and like many buildings on Royal Avenue, was finished in stucco. Opened in 1911, the Regent was the first Belfast cinema not to have its...

15 November 2013

1930 – Plaza Theatre, George St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Eric Heath A heritage listed building designed as a 2000-seat cinema by Eric Heath during a golden age of cinema-going in Australia and was opened on 11 April 1930. In 1977 the...

31 May 2013

1919 – Coliseum Cinema, High St., Clapham, London

Architect: North & Robin In 1910 the Electric Picture Palace had opened in Venn St. Clapham on the site of a former stables. In 1919 a new magnificent cinema with 3,000 seats was...

06 May 2013

1968 – Former Curzon Cinema, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Henry J. Lyons & Partners Opened as the Curzon Cinema, and later the Lighthouse, the entrance foyer to this cinema was distinctly modern. A converted warehouse, it contained two theatres, and was...

27 September 2012

1936 – Ritz Cinema, Fisherwick Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Kemp & Tasker When constructed it was the largest cinema in Northern Ireland with over 2,200 seats, 1000 of those on the massive balcony. Harland & Wolff supplied the 40-tonne girder which...

27 September 2012

1936 – The Tonic Cinema, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: John McBride Neill Designed by the foremost cinema architect in Northern Ireland, and considered his masterpiece, The Tonic was the largest Cinema in Ireland with 2,001 seats at the time. The Tonic...

17 September 2012

1839 – Bethesda Chapel, Granby Row, Dublin

Architect: Frederick Darley Erected around 1839 as the Protestant Bethesda Chapel to replace an earlier one of around 1785. The squat building was fronted by a simple, classical portico with two Ionic columns....

Pages:1234Next »