Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Antrim

24 September 2009

1935 – Sinclairs Department Store, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: James Scott A fine building, developed as a department store in the 1930s and opposite the Bank of Ireland, Sinclairs building is now divided into different premises but its exterior remains to...

24 September 2009

1904 – Scottish Mutual Building, Belfast

Architect: Henry Seaver Built as the Scottish Temperance Building in 1904, this is an imposing if eclectic building in a vaguely baronial style.

24 September 2009

1903 – Fiddes Todd & Curry Warehouse, Belfast

Architect: Henry Hobart Built as a linen warehouse for Fiddes Todd & Curry at Nos. 51-59 Adelaide Street. Five Storey red brick warehouse with dramatic roofline of pedimented dormers and corner chimney stacks,...

24 September 2009

1905 – Presbyterian Assembly Buildings, Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie The architect Robert Young received this commission after he organised a competition with a completely unrealistic budget. Naturally none of the competitors could comply with it, so he was...

24 September 2009

1900 – Bank Buildings, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: W.H. Lynn A large cast iron structure clad in red Dumfries stone, this is one of the most impressive of the Belfast commercial buildings of the turn of the century. Designed by...

24 September 2009

1907 – College of Technology, Belfast

Architect: Samuel Stevenson Architects A monumental building with a triumphant Ionic order and smaller version of the City Hall corner towers.

24 September 2009

1906 – Belfast City Hall

Architect: Alfred Brumwell Thomas In 1888 Queen Victoria gave the town of Belfast the status of City. In response the citizens built the magnificent City Hall which today dominates the heart of Belfast....

24 September 2009

1927 – St. Ann’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Belfast

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew, W.H. Lynn St Anne’s Cathedral is built on the site of St Anne’s Church – Belfast’s first Church of Ireland parish. St Anne’s Church existed from 1776 (foundation stone...

24 September 2009

1896 – St. George’s Market, Belfast

Architect: J.C. Bretland Recently restored, the markets contain a working fish market and a bric-a-brac market of stalls and traders. Both markets were designed by J.C. Bretland and completed in 1896. In comparison...