Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Antrim

24 September 2009

1870 – Belfast Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon The Chichesters (later the Donegalls) lived in England as absentee landlords but came to live at Ormeau at the beginning of the nineteenth century. After re-marrying in 1862,...

24 September 2009

1869 – Former Richardsons Store, Belfast

Architect: W.H. Lynn Built in 1867-69, this fine warehouse once had a fine dormered roofline and tall chimneys. These are alas, a memory as is the former interior which was destroyed in the...

24 September 2009

1867 – Ewart’s Warehouse, Bedford Street, Belfast

Architect: James Hamilton A fine but now sadly derelict warehouse built in a Glasgow Ventian style by a Glasgow architect. The building has a corner entrance with a circular hall marked by a...

24 September 2009

1870 – Albert Memorial Clock, Belfast

Architect: William Barre Constructed of sandstone as a memorial to Queen Victoria’s late Prince Consort, Prince Albert, the Albert Memorial Clock stands 113 feet tall. A statue of the Prince in robes of...

24 September 2009

1865 – Clarence Place Hall, May St., Belfast

Architect: W.H. Lynn A fine building influenced by the writings of Ruskin and the work of Deane and Woodward. The building has polychromatic banded brickwork and gothic arches. The building won a conservation...

24 September 2009

1869 – Former First Trust Bank, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: William Barre Originally a bank and now a Tesco convenience store, the building was completed by Turner and Williamson after the death of Barre. The building has an impressive seven bay fa├žade...

24 September 2009

1864 – Linen Hall Library, Belfast

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Sited on Donegall Square facing the dominant City Hall, the Linen Hall Library is the cultural heart of the city of Belfast. It was originally built as a...

24 September 2009

1849 – Lanyon Building, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Sir Charles Lanyon Sir Charles Lanyon designed the main building of Queen’s University of Belfast in 1849 which now bears his name. The building is famous for its long Gothic Revival facade...

24 September 2009

1844 – Saint Malachy’s Church, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson Originally Saint Malachy’s was intended to be the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Down and Connor and was to seat 7,000 worshippers but in the time when the Great...