Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Antrim

15 July 2014

1885 – Orange Hall, Clifton St., Belfast

Architect: William Batt The Hall was opened on January 27th, 1885. To mark the bi-centenary of the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688 an equestrian bronze statue, by Henry Hems of Exeter,city coat of arms...

09 July 2014

1895 – Railway Station, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Mock Tudor station, constructed to replace the station of 1862 that was destroyed by fire, for Belfast & Northern Counties Railway Co. Still in use today by Northern Ireland...

15 June 2014

1901 – Unbuilt Design for Assembly Rooms, Belfast

Architect: William Carruthers Laidlaw Third premiated design for competition, adjudicated by Sir Thomas Drew for new Presbyterian Assembley Rooms. He judged the costing conditions to be unreasonable and unachievable. William Hemstock was awarded...

15 June 2014

1901 – Unbuilt Design for Assembly Hall, Belfast

Architect: Rupert Savage “This design was awarded the first premium by the assessor, Sir Thos. Drew, R.H.A. ; but the committee declined to accept any of the designs submitted in this competition, and...

13 June 2014

1903 – Royal Archway, Wellington Place, Belfast

A triumphal arch at Wellington Place, Belfast, erected by the Linen Industry in honour of a visit by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

13 June 2014

1896 – All Souls Church, Elmwood Avenue, Belfast

Architect: George W. Planck Second Presbyterian Congregation founded in 1708, with the York Street Congregation founded in 1840. Present building largely completed in 1896. Design chosen after an architectural competition in 1895 –...

12 June 2014

1870 – Working Men’s Institute, Queen Street, Belfast

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Constructed at the junction of Queen and Mill Streets, demolished in 1915. The arcaded shops were the home of Lennon’s Catholic Repository. The building contained a library and a...

10 June 2014

1933 – Bleach Green Viaducts, Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.K. Wallace Bleach Green Viaduct, carries the mainline to Londonderry over the Larne Line, and was constructed between 1931 & 1933 by the LMS/NCC railway company. Usually referred to as “Bleach Green...

03 June 2014

1843 – Queens Bridge, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Fraser, Charles Lanyon, & J.C. Bretland Originally designed by John Frazer with Charles Lanyon between 1841 and 1843 replacing an old 21-arch bridge. In the mid 1880s it was widended by...