Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Antrim

13 August 2013

1876 – Carlisle Memorial Methodist Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn Designed in the Gothic Revival style by noted architect W.H. Lynn and completed in 1876, the church was home to one of the largest Methodist congregations in Belfast. The church...

13 August 2013

1902 – The Tubular & Suspension Bridges, The Gobbins, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Designed by railway architect Berkeley Deane Wise as a tourist attraction for his employers the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway Company. This scenic path included staircases along the cliffs,...

13 August 2013

1858 – Church of the Holy Trinity, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Architect: Joseph Welland The central part of the church was constructed by 1843 to the designs of an unknown architect – on a t-shaped plan. By the mid 1850s, extending was required, and...

09 August 2013

1908 – Former Post Office, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Architect: Robert Cochrane Former Post Office, constructed around 1908. Closed in the 1980s, it lay vacant for many years before being restored and converted to the public library. Designed by Robert Cochrane of...

09 August 2013

1890s – Northern Counties Hotel, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Lanyon / Berkeley Deane Wise The Belfast and Northern Counties Railway purchased a share in the lease of the well-established Antrim Arms hotel in the 1870s. By 1883 it had formed...

09 August 2013

1859 – Adam Clarke Memorial Obelisk, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Barre A45 foot tall obelisk to a leading member of early Methodism, Adam Clarke whio was born in County Derry. John Wesley invited him to become a pupil at a seminary...

08 August 2013

1880s – Castle Erin / Golf Hotel, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Former hotel built between railway line and coast to service Portrush’s links course. Originally called the Hydropathic Hotel but changed its name to the Golf Hotel, and later Castle Erin. It was later...

25 July 2013

1776 – St Anne’s Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Francis Hiorne Commisioned by by Arthur, 5th Earl of Donegall, and named after his wife, St Anne’s was designed by English architect Francis Hiorne of Warwick. Constructed on the site of the...

25 July 2013

1870 – St. Enoch’s Presbyterian Church, Carlisle Circus, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Erected in the early 1870s, it was one of the largest Presbyterian churches in all of Ulster. St Enoch’s had a magnificent theatre-like interior with two tiers of galleries...