Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Armagh

22 April 2014

1866 – Church of Ireland, Jonesborough, Co. Armagh

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn, & Lanyon Constructed to replace a church originally built in 1732 and re-built in 1772. The Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon building opened for worship in September 1866. Due to the...

02 April 2014

1897 – Railway Station, Lurgan, Co. Armagh

Architect: William H. Mills Originally opened in 1845 for the Ulster Railway Company, but rebuilt in the Great Northern Railway house-style in the late 1890s. William H. Mills was the Chief engineer of...

01 April 2014

1925 – Engine Roundhouse, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: F.A. Champion One of two roundhouses to the same design on the Great Northern Railway system – the other at Clones still stands today. Built in 1925 out of reinforced concrete, its...

19 March 2014

1910 – Tassagh Viaduct, Keady, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker 11-arched viaduct in masonry and concrete for the Castleblayney, Keady & Armagh Railway Co., constructed in 1910 to provide a link between Armagh and the County Monaghan town of...

28 May 2013

1770 – Archbishop’s Palace, Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley / Francis Johnston Constructed as a large two-storey house, 7 bays wide by 4 bays deep, to designs by Thomas Cooley for Archbishop Richard Robinson. An additional floor was later...

28 March 2013

1692 – Carrickblacker House, Portadown, Co. Armagh

The Blacker family, founded an estate at Carrick, on the Portadown–Gilford road. The land had been bought by Colonel Valentine Blacker from Sir Anthony Cope of Loughgall, and became known as Carrickblacker. Their...

29 October 2012

1620s – Charlemont Fort, Co. Armagh

Charlemont Fort was a garrison built in Charlemont in 1602 by Lord Mountjoy. It was destroyed in 1920 by fire and the only building remaining today is the gatehouse. The 17th century governor’s...

14 October 2012

1820 – Tynan Abbey, Co. Armagh

Architect: John Nash Designed by John Nash who had a cluster of work in the area including Caledon House in Co. Tyrone, and some lodges at Castle Leslie in Co. Monaghan, both very...

14 October 2012

1829 – Drumbanagher House, Poyntzpass, Co. Armagh

Architect: William Playfair Drumbanagher House was a very large, Italianate mansion by William Playfair built for Lieutenant-Colonel Maxwell Close, who was the brother-in-law of 1st Lord Lurgan. Described as being “one of his...