Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Armagh

19 March 2014

1910 – Tassagh Viaduct, Keady, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker 11-arched viaduct in masonry and concrete for the Castleblayney, Keady & Armagh Railway Co., constructed in 1910 to provide a link between Armagh and the County Monaghan town of...

28 May 2013

1770 – Archbishop’s Palace, Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley / Francis Johnston Constructed as a large two-storey house, 7 bays wide by 4 bays deep, to designs by Thomas Cooley for Archbishop Richard Robinson. An additional floor was later...

28 March 2013

1692 – Carrickblacker House, Portadown, Co. Armagh

The Blacker family, founded an estate at Carrick, on the Portadown–Gilford road. The land had been bought by Colonel Valentine Blacker from Sir Anthony Cope of Loughgall, and became known as Carrickblacker. Their...

29 October 2012

1620s – Charlemont Fort, Co. Armagh

Charlemont Fort was a garrison built in Charlemont in 1602 by Lord Mountjoy. It was destroyed in 1920 by fire and the only building remaining today is the gatehouse. The 17th century governor’s...

14 October 2012

1820 – Tynan Abbey, Co. Armagh

Architect: John Nash Designed by John Nash who had a cluster of work in the area including Caledon House in Co. Tyrone, and some lodges at Castle Leslie in Co. Monaghan, both very...

14 October 2012

1829 – Drumbanagher House, Poyntzpass, Co. Armagh

Architect: William Playfair Drumbanagher House was a very large, Italianate mansion by William Playfair built for Lieutenant-Colonel Maxwell Close, who was the brother-in-law of 1st Lord Lurgan. Described as being “one of his...

29 September 2012

1837 – Tandragee Castle, Tanderagee, Co. Armagh

Country houses become hotels and guest houses, this one became a crisp factory. Built around 1837 for the 6th Duke of Manchester as the family’s Irish home.The castle has a strong tower at...

01 December 2011

1840 – Design for St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh

Architect: Thomas Duff St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh, as designed by Thomas J. Duff of Newry, c. 1840. Published in John Gallogly: The History of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh, M. H. Gill & Son,...

15 November 2011

1862 – Railway Station, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: John MacNeill John MacNeill’s masterpiece, a long polychromuc brick station with the stately air of a great house. Demolished and replaced in the 1960s, the site is still derelict, the great piers...