Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Armagh

28 September 2009

1815 – Market House, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Duff On a steeply sloped site in Market Square, the former Market House featured an open arcade of arches at ground level (to the rear of the façade above). Later the...

28 September 2009

1809 – Courthouse, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Francis Johnston The courthouse by Francis Johnston is a relatively simple affair and should be compared with the larger Courthouse built in nearby Monaghan only twenty years later. Armagh Courthouse is a...

28 September 2009

1774 – Former Hospital, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: George Ensor Built as the city hospital in 1774, and now an outreach campus for Queens University Belfast. Deceptively small, the ground falls away behind the main façade to allow for more...

28 September 2009

1771 – Public Library, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley Fabulous Library building on an awkward sloping corner site by Thomas Cooley, the architect of Dublin’s City Hall which was started just two years earlier. Like City Hall, the library...

25 September 2009

1724 – Vicar’s Hill, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Built by Archbishop Boulter in 1724 as accomodation for clegy widows, this intact terrace facing the west front of the Church of Ireland Cathedral has fine Gibbsian door surrounds.

25 September 2009

1776 – Derrymore House, Bessbrook, Co. Armagh

Architect: John Sutherland A late 18th century thatched house in a gentrified style, Derrymore House is owned by the National Trust and open to the public. John Sutherland was responsible for laying out...

05 April 2009

1976 – New Technical College, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: Shanks Leighton Kennedy Fitzgerald Constructed in the new planned town of Craigavon in the 1970s, this is a good example of the brutalist architecture of the period.