Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Carlow

09 October 2015

1898 – Methodist Chapel, Carlow

In the early months of 1897, construction started on this building comprised a chapel and adjoining lecture hall, and in the basement, a tea room or Sunday School room, a store and a...

29 September 2015

1895 – Masonic Hall, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: W. Morrison Symmetrical but domestically scaled Masonic Lodge, still in use today. Architect given as a W. Morrison.

28 September 2015

1818 – Braganza House, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden Originally built for Col. Sir Dudley Hill by Thomas A. Cobden, later the architect of the nearby Roman Catholic Cathedral. After been used as the Bishop’s Palace for many...

28 September 2015

1826 – Courthouse, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow

Architect: Daniel Robertson Described by Lewis in 1837 as “The court-house is a handsome building in the Grecian style, in front of which is a portico with four Doric pillars.” Presumed to be...

26 March 2014

1867 – Schools, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: John McCurdy Strongly reminiscent of the work of Deane and Woodward of a decade before. “With this number we give an illustration of schools at present being erect at Carlow. They are...

18 June 2013

1830 – Duckett’s Grove, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden / John Macduff Derick In his book A Guide to Irish Country Houses Mark Bence-Jones describes Duckett’s Grove as a “square house of two and three storeys, transformed into...

18 June 2013

1625 – Huntingdon Castle, Clonegal, Co Carlow

Huntington Castle was built in 1625 as a garrison on the strategically important Wexford to Dublin route. After 50 years the soldiers moved out and the Esmonde family began to convert it into...

09 March 2013

1833 – Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden The construction of Carlow Cathedral started in 1826 under the supervision of the architect Joseph Lynch who was succeeded by the architect Thomas Cobden in 1829 who changed the...

09 March 2013

1731 – Borris House, Borris, Co. Carlow

Architect: Richard Morrison & William Vitruvius Morrison The ancestral home of the Mcmorrough Kavanaghs, High Kings of Leinster, and originally an important castle guarding the River Barrow, Borris House was rebuilt in 1731....

Pages:123Next »