Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Cork

06 November 2009

1927 – No 48-49 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: W.H. Hill Former Burtons store on St. Patrick’s Street now in use by another retailer with upper floors used as storage. A very unsympathetic shop façade does this fine stone building no...

06 November 2009

1912 – AIB, South Mall, Cork

Architect: Henry H. Hill Distinctive and imposing bank building on a prominent site, in the main financial district of Cork. Built for the Munster and Leinster Bank, now a branch of Allied Irish...

06 November 2009

1923 – Debenham’s, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie Replacing an earlier department store that was burned down in 1920 along with most of this part of St. Patrick’s Street. A distinctive design with the oddly shaped copper...

06 November 2009

1932 – Former Savoy Cinema, Cork

Architect: Moore & Crabtree The former Savoy Cinema had a jazzy Art Deco façade but the interior was atmospheric in style. A narrow street frontage on Patrick Street led into a long entrance...

06 November 2009

1936 – City Hall, Cork

Architect: Jones & Kelly The City Hall was opened in 1936 and replaced the previous structure that was burned down on 11 September 1920. Designed by Jones and Kelly, it is a weak...

06 November 2009

1943 – St. Augustine’s Catholic Church, Cork

Architect: Dominic O’Connor Unusual church embedded into the streetscape following existing parapet and street lines. With its cut stone and Hiberno_Romanesque doorway, the church could be easily ignored as a piece of catholic...

06 November 2009

1831 – 80 South Mall, Cork

Architect: James Pain End-of-terrace seven-bay three-storey with attic premises in Victorian Italianate style, c. 1825; built as The County Club; only facade of original building remains; premises reconstructed, c. 1975. Unfortunately the originally...

06 November 2009

1855 – National Irish Bank, 71 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William Caldbeck Good quality bank branch on South Mall. Much closer in size to bank branches in Irish country towns rather than other banks along the mall. Of five bays, the two...

05 November 2009

1925 – Brown Thomas, St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Architect: Henry H. Hill Built in the 1920s to the design of architect Henry H. Hill, this building replaced an earlier department store on the site which was burnt in 1920 along with...