Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Cork

05 November 2009

1908 – Commercial Building, Pearse Square, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: Arthur Hill Fine imposing building looking down Pearse Square from Patrick Street. Has changed little from old postcards yet seems strangely unloved and uncared for. Rebuilt in 1908 after a fire.

05 November 2009

1908 – Commercial Building, Pearse Square, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: W.H. Hill Unusually designed buildings along Pearse Square dating from 1908 which show some Art Nouveau influences yet with the incredibly narrow facades resemble buildings from Amsterdam canal-banks.

05 November 2009

1804 – Christ Church, Church of Ireland, Fermoy, Co. Cork

Architect: Abraham Hargrave Church of Portland stone with tower and spire on the site of 13th century Cistercian abbey. The contractors were William Deane and William Kearns. According to Lewis’s Topographical Directory of...

05 November 2009

1838 – Protestant Almshouse, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: William Tinsley Reportedly designed in 1826 but not built for over a decade, the Protestant Asylum was built in 1838 by the Protestant Relief Society to provide rooms for the homeless. It...

05 November 2009

1798 – St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, Youghal, Co. Cork

05 November 2009

1777 – Clock Gate, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: William Meade This is the third gate on this site in the town walls and was completed in 1777. The tower was used as the town gaol until 1837 and prisoners were...

05 November 2009

1610 – Almshouses, Youghal, Co. Cork

Endowed by Sir Richard Boyle to house six old soldiers, who were to receive a pension of £5 per annum. This service was later extended to include widows. The six houses were built...

05 November 2009

1220 – Collegiate Church of St Mary, Youghal, Co. Cork

St Mary’s Collegiate Church is one of the oldest churches in the country and occupies a site devoted to religious worship since early Christian times. The building is now a National Monument. The...

05 November 2009

1872 – Kilmaloda House, Timoleague, Co. Cork

Architect: W.H. Hill Kilmaloda House, near Timoleague, was originally the residence of Sampson Beamish and his descendants. After World War II the MacCarthy-Morrogh family occupied the house. “We illustrate with present issue a...