Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Cork

21 August 2013

1851 – St. Maries of the Isle Mercy Convent, Sharman Crawford St., Cork

Architect: William Atkins Published in The Building News, December 7 1850. Constructed in red sandstone with limestone dressings. The proposed spire was never completed. Described at the time of constructed as: “This building...

13 August 2013

1890 – Competitive Design for Holy Trinity, Cork

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Competition entry to design a facade for Holy Trinity Church in Cork city. The church was started in the 1820s to designs by George Pain, with the facade and...

12 June 2013

1883 – City Hall, Albert Quay, Cork

Cork City Hall began its life as the City’s Corn Exchange, the main frontage of which was constructed in 1843. The location was also used by two industrial exhibitions in 1852 and 1883,...

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

08 March 2013

1858 – Royal Victoria Hotel & Baths, Glenbrook, Co. Cork

Glenbrook was originally a seaside resort with facilities such as Turkish Bath-houses which became established there. The first of these was the Royal Victoria Monkstown and Passage Baths, which opened in 1838. This...

08 March 2013

1855 – Cork Opera House (The Athenaeum), Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson / C.J. Phipps The building, originally called ‘The Athenaeum’, was finished by early 1855. It hosted its first performance on 29 January 1855, a concert in aid of the...

08 March 2013

1905 – Carnegie Library, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: Henry A. Cutler Foundation stone laid by Andrew Carnegie in 1903 with the building opening in 1905. Located on Anglesea Street next to City Hall, this elegant building lasted for only 15...

05 March 2013

1870 – St. Anne’s Hydro & Turkish Bath, Blarney, Co. Cork

Architect: Richard Barter Part of the earlier, sprawling Hydropathic centre started by Dr. Richard Barter, the large Turkish bath building can be seen in the foreground. The Hydropathic buildings are those further up...

08 November 2012

1825 – Convamore House, Ballyhooly, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Large classical house built on an elevated site overlooking the River Blackwater, constructed for the 1st Earl of Listowel. It remained the Irish seat of the family until it was...