Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Cork

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

08 March 2013

1858 – Royal Victoria Hotel & Baths, Glenbrook, Co. Cork

Glenbrook was originally a seaside resort with facilities such as Turkish Bath-houses which became established there. The first of these was the Royal Victoria Monkstown and Passage Baths, which opened in 1838. This...

08 March 2013

1855 – Cork Opera House (The Athenaeum), Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson / C.J. Phipps The building, originally called ‘The Athenaeum’, was finished by early 1855. It hosted its first performance on 29 January 1855, a concert in aid of the...

08 March 2013

1905 – Carnegie Library, Anglesea Street, Cork

Architect: Henry A. Cutler Foundation stone laid by Andrew Carnegie in 1903 with the building opening in 1905. Located on Anglesea Street next to City Hall, this elegant building lasted for only 15...

05 March 2013

1870 – St. Anne’s Hydro & Turkish Bath, Blarney, Co. Cork

Architect: Richard Barter Part of the earlier, sprawling Hydropathic centre started by Dr. Richard Barter, the large Turkish bath building can be seen in the foreground. The Hydropathic buildings are those further up...

22 January 2013

1880s – Landing Pier, Curribinney, Crosshaven, Co. Cork

08 November 2012

1825 – Convamore House, Ballyhooly, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Large classical house built on an elevated site overlooking the River Blackwater, constructed for the 1st Earl of Listowel. It remained the Irish seat of the family until it was...

26 October 2012

1829 – Blackrock Castle, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Blackrock Castle was in the ownership of the City of Cork following a charter of James I to the City in 1608. The castle is later referred to in the...

09 August 2012

1710 – The Red House, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: Leuventhen Designed by the Dutch architect and builder Leuventhen, it was completed between 1703 and 1710 (dates vary) for the Uniacke family using imported red bricks as the quality of local brick...