Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Cork

05 March 2013

1870 – St. Anne’s Hydro & Turkish Bath, Blarney, Co. Cork

Architect: Richard Barter Part of the earlier, sprawling Hydropathic centre started by Dr. Richard Barter, the large Turkish bath building can be seen in the foreground. The Hydropathic buildings are those further up...

22 January 2013

1880s – Landing Pier, Curribinney, Crosshaven, Co. Cork

08 November 2012

1825 – Convamore House, Ballyhooly, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Large classical house built on an elevated site overlooking the River Blackwater, constructed for the 1st Earl of Listowel. It remained the Irish seat of the family until it was...

26 October 2012

1829 – Blackrock Castle, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Blackrock Castle was in the ownership of the City of Cork following a charter of James I to the City in 1608. The castle is later referred to in the...

09 August 2012

1710 – The Red House, Youghal, Co. Cork

Architect: Leuventhen Designed by the Dutch architect and builder Leuventhen, it was completed between 1703 and 1710 (dates vary) for the Uniacke family using imported red bricks as the quality of local brick...

12 July 2012

1861 – Post Office, Clonakilty, Co. Cork

Former Presbyterian Church, now converted into a local Post Office. The church was taken over by the department of Post and Telegraphs in 1924.

12 June 2012

2011 – Mizen Head Footbridge, Co. Cork

The new Mizen Head Footbridge is a reinforced concrete through-arch structure that spans 50m across a sea gorge (45m above sea level) to connect the island of Cloghán, at the tip of Mizen...

12 June 2012

1904 – Fastnet Lighthouse, Co. Cork

Architect: William Douglass The second lighthouse on Fastnet Rock was designed by William Douglass and built under the supervision of James Kavanagh. Construction started in 1897 with the levelling of the site, and...

30 May 2012

1900 – Hotel Metropole, Cork

Architect: Arthur Hill Ornate Victorian hotel with retail units at ground level. The building was largely rebuilt and extended during 1910-11 after a large fire. The photograph shows the building before the expansion.