Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Cork

12 June 2012

2011 – Mizen Head Footbridge, Co. Cork

The new Mizen Head Footbridge is a reinforced concrete through-arch structure that spans 50m across a sea gorge (45m above sea level) to connect the island of Cloghán, at the tip of Mizen...

12 June 2012

1904 – Fastnet Lighthouse, Co. Cork

Architect: William Douglass The second lighthouse on Fastnet Rock was designed by William Douglass and built under the supervision of James Kavanagh. Construction started in 1897 with the levelling of the site, and...

30 May 2012

1900 – Hotel Metropole, Cork

Architect: Arthur Hill Ornate Victorian hotel with retail units at ground level. The building was largely rebuilt and extended during 1910-11 after a large fire. The photograph shows the building before the expansion.

23 April 2012

1852 – Cork & Bandon Railway Station, Albert Quay, Cork

Architect: Joshua Hargrave Railway terminus on Albert Quay for the Cork & Bandon Railway. The railway company changed its name to Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway in 1888 and became part of...

23 March 2012

1825 – Design for Fota House, Co. Cork

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison An unbuilt scheme to enlarge the 18th century house at Fota. Ultimately, the Morrisons did extend the house but in a more restrained classical scheme. This scheme by William...

19 March 2012

1823 – Mitchelstown Castle, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain & George Pain In 1823, after his succession to his title, George, 3rd Earl of Kingston, demolished the previous Palladian house and replaced it with a new castle designed by...

24 February 2012

1710 – Merchants Exchange, Cork

Architect: Twiss Jones Built between 1705 and 1710, for the conduct of business between Cork’s merchant classes, and replaced an earlier building at the junction of Castle Street & South Main Street. At...

24 February 2012

1883 – Irish Industrial Exhibition, Cork

Architect: Robert Walker The Cork Industrial and Fine Art Exhibition of 1883 was visited by over 10,000 people. Amongst the main exhibitions was a popular arts hall, which was seen as a reflection...

26 January 2012

1889 – Crawford Municipal Schools of Science & Art, Cork

Architect: Arthur Hill Perpective view published in ‘The Architect’ July 12th, 1889. Previously known as the Cork School of Art, William H. Crawford was induced to support an extension to the school in...


Skip to toolbar