Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Cork

06 November 2009

1836 – St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Cork

Architect: George Pain An excellent classical portico supported by six Corinthian columns, all topped by a campanile, makes this one of Cork’s finest classical buildings. The campanile is a cruciform tempietto supporting a...

06 November 2009

1839 – Savings Bank, Cork

Architects: Kearns Deane The result of an architectural competition held in 1839, the former Cork Savings Bank (now part of Trustee Savings Bank) was designed by the firm of Thomas and Kearns Deane...

06 November 2009

1865 – Thomas Crosbie Holdings, 97 South Mall, Cork

Architect: William G. Murray One of the most magnificent buildings in Cork, the Italianate plazzo built for the ‘Provincial Bank of Ireland’, was designed by W.G. Murray. A substantial and well-maintained building, it...

06 November 2009

1860 – Central Markets, Cork

Architect: John Benson Home to the renowned English Market, the Central Markets have their primary entrance on Princes Street. the markets area network of pedestrian passageways linking various streets and alleys in the...

06 November 2009

1849 – Shandon Butter Market, Cork

Architect: John Benson Built close to St. Anne’s, the former butter market was once the centre of Cork trade. This is the rear entrance with its triumphal archway flanked by coupled columns and...

06 November 2009

1850 – St. Mary’s Priory, Cork

Architect: William Atkins Sited alongside the classical St. Mary’s catholic church, the priory by William Atkins is a mixture of classical and victorian institutional gothic. It may have been a Georgian house with...

06 November 2009

1879 – Post Office, Cork

Architect: Jacob Owen / T.J. Mellon Large post office building with a fine curved façade with arcaded windows. Designed by Jacob Owen of the Board of Works and later extended by T.J. Mellon...

06 November 2009

1885 – McKenzies Building, Cork

Fine riverside Lombardo-Romanesque warehouse with a continuous glazed arcade on the upper storey over large round-headed openings. The elaborate render detail enlivens the façade of this unusual building, and enhances and articulates the...

06 November 2009

1918 – Counting House, Beamish & Crawford Brewery, Cork

Architect: Houston & Houston There was a brewery on this site as far back as the 17th century and before that a monastery. William Beamish and William Crawford acquired the brewery in 1791...