Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Donegal

01 April 2014

1863 – Railway Station, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal

Architect: John C. Bower The station opened on 3 September 1863 on the Finn Valley Railway line from Glenties to Stranorlar. Stranorlar became the headquarters of the successor company, the Donegal Railway Company...

02 March 2014

1875 – Bank of Ireland, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

Architect: Timothy Hevey The Hibernian Bank aggressively pursued the business of the new Catholic middle classes, and in doing so, used an architectural idiom similar to that being used in the new churches...

10 January 2014

2013 – Coláiste Ailigh, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

Architect: McGarry Ní Éanaigh Architects Coláiste Ailigh is a secondary school of 350 students located on the northeast fringe of Ireland on an elevated and east-sloping site on the outskirts of the town...

12 June 2013

1945 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Carndonagh, Co. Donegal

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Large Roman Catholic church that proclaims its position over the town and countryside. Done in a vaguely Italianate style with the campanile and crossing tower and dome, described as...

02 January 2013

1906 – St. Eunan’s College, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

Architect: T.F. McNamara Odd castle-like school by T.F. McNamara, who had recently completed Hague’s cathedral in the town, when he was cmomissioned. Four circular towers, some conical, some castellated, provide the school with...

02 January 2013

1820 – Rathmullan House, Co. Donegal

Built in 1820 as a summer house for the family of Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Knox, Rathmullan House is now a small country house hotel.

07 October 2012

1903 – Presbyterian Church, Convoy, Co. Donegal

Architect: John McIntyre Built to replace a church of the 1780s, McIntyre ‘took the design from Vincent Craig’s First Presbyterian Church at Omagh’.

06 March 2012

1817 – Fanad Lighthouse, Co. Donegal

Architect: George Halpin Construction started in 1812-13 with the tone brought pre-cut from North Wall, Dublin. Light first lit St Patrick’s Day 1817.

07 April 2011

1863 – Lough Eske Castle, Co. Donegal

Architect: Fitzgibbon Louch The original castle was first built around 1474. The current Lough Eske Castle was reconstructed in the 1860s by the Brooke family on the site of their medieval castle. The...