Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Down

06 January 2015

1865 – Dufferin Drive, Clandeboye, Co. Down

Architect: Benjamin Ferrey Clandeboye Avenue was a private lane leading from the Clandeboye Estate to near the shore at Helen’s Bay. This section, close to the station at Helen’s Bay, is now a...

06 January 2015

1897 – Railway Station, Cultra, Co. Down

Cultra is part of the greater Belfast area and originally a stop on the Belfast, Hollywood and Bangor Railway. The BH&BR crossed the land of some wealthy landowners, whose terms included that Cultra...

09 December 2014

1800 – Market House, Kilkeel, Co. Down

Sited at the top of Kilmorey Square, the Market House contained a covered market space at ground level with a municipal space above. The upper floor was used as a courthouse and also...

05 December 2014

1622 – Kirkiston Castle, Co. Down

Constructed in 1622 by Roland Savage, on the site of a ninth-century round tower. It was occupied until 1731, the castle is in the late medieval tower-house tradition. Parts of the bawn wall...

05 December 2014

1893 – St. John’s Point Lighthouse, Killough, Co. Down

Architect: William Douglass Constructed during the period 1892-93, replacing an older and lower lighthouse. The complex comprised of a lighthouse, 2 new dwellings, new fog-signal house, enlargement of gas plant.

04 December 2014

1878 – National Schools, Holywood, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt Published in The Irish Builder, Jan 15 1878.

04 December 2014

1862 – Model School, Newtownards, Co. Down

Architect: Frederick Darley Designed in a Jacobean style, the Model School opened in July 1862. One of a ]number of Model Schools around the country, it was non-sectarian with the different religions of...

04 December 2014

1893 – The Manse, Kilkeel, Co. Down

Architect: Maximillian Clarke Unusual Manse with two-storey octagonal tower, possibly designed by Maximillian Clarke.

04 December 2014

1858 – Railway Station, Ballynahinch, Co. Down

Architect: Telford MacNeill Opened by the Belfast and County Down Railway on 10 September 1858, and closed to passengers 16 January 1950. The former station building and goods shed have since been converted...