Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Down

27 September 2012

1936 – The Tonic Cinema, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: John McBride Neill Designed by the foremost cinema architect in Northern Ireland, and considered his masterpiece, The Tonic was the largest Cinema in Ireland with 2,001 seats at the time. The Tonic...

14 September 2012

1736 – Gill Hall, Dromore, Co. Down

Architect: Richard Cassels The Gill Hall estate was named after a Captain Magill an officer in Cromwell’s Army, prior to the 1641 rebellion he is said to have obtained half the townland of...

02 July 2012

1910 – Carnegie Library & Technical School, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: E.L. Woods One of the fine public librarys funded in part by Andrew Carnegie’s foundation, constructed started in 1909, with the building opened by Lord Londonderry in 1910. By 1919, 81 per...

02 April 2012

1841 – Railway Station, Moira, Co. Down

Architect: John Godwin Constructed by the Ulster Railway Company during its expansion to Lurgan in 1841.

23 March 2012

1823 – Ormeau House, Co. Down

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison A long rambling Tudor mansion designed for the 2nd Marquess of Donegall on the then outskirts of Belfast, who was in exile from his creditors in England. Originally a...

01 March 2012

1873 – St. Colmans Church, Dromore, Co. Down

Architect: Timothy Hevey Designed by architect Timothy Hevey of Belfast in an early English Gothic. Built in black stone, with freestone dressings, the walls are supported with courses and buttresses. The church consists...

16 October 2011

1855 – Ballyedmond Castle, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: Charles Lanyon Ballyedmond Castle was a Tudor-Baronial mansion, with pointed gables, mullioned windows; a battlemented tower and conical-roofed turret. At one stage, the house was being used as a hotel. The original...

11 April 2011

1857 – Scrabo Tower, Newtownards, Co. Down

Architect: Charles Lanyon Erected in 1857, the Tower was built by local people as a monument to Charles William Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry. The marquis was a local landowner and nobleman with...

12 March 2011

1650 – Hillsborough Fort, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Artillery fort built in 1650 by Colonel Arthur Hill – the Hill family built the village of Hillsborough starting with the fort. Remodelled in the 18th Century for feasts and entertainment.