Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Down

01 March 2012

1873 – St. Colmans Church, Dromore, Co. Down

Architect: Timothy Hevey Designed by architect Timothy Hevey of Belfast in an early English Gothic. Built in black stone, with freestone dressings, the walls are supported with courses and buttresses. The church consists...

16 October 2011

1855 – Ballyedmond Castle, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: Charles Lanyon Ballyedmond Castle was a Tudor-Baronial mansion, with pointed gables, mullioned windows; a battlemented tower and conical-roofed turret. At one stage, the house was being used as a hotel. The original...

11 April 2011

1857 – Scrabo Tower, Newtownards, Co. Down

Architect: Charles Lanyon Erected in 1857, the Tower was built by local people as a monument to Charles William Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry. The marquis was a local landowner and nobleman with...

12 March 2011

1650 – Hillsborough Fort, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Artillery fort built in 1650 by Colonel Arthur Hill – the Hill family built the village of Hillsborough starting with the fort. Remodelled in the 18th Century for feasts and entertainment.

25 September 2009

1785 – Temple of the Winds, Newtownards, Co. Down

Architect: James Stuart The Temple of the Winds, James “╦ťAthenian’ Stuart’s banqueting hall of 1785, overlooks Strangford Lough. It had small viewing balconies, instead of porticos, to take advantage of views. The interior...

25 September 2009

1840 – Mount Stewart House, Co. Down

Architect: George Dance / William Vitruvius Morrison Between 1804 and 1806, the London architect George Dance was employed by Alexander Stewart, later first Marquess of Londonderry, to design what is now the west...

25 September 2009

1966 – Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Newcastle, Co. Down

Our Lady of the Assumption Church was first opened on 12th June 1966. The church is reputed to be the first circular church in Ireland and is now a listed building as ‘an...

25 September 2009

1898 – Slieve Donard Hotel, Newcastle, Co. Down

Architect: James J. Farrall, Young & Mackenzie The result of an architectural competition held by the Belfast & Co. Down Railway Co. in 1895, and adjudicated by Alfred Waterhouse. The competition was won...

23 September 2009

1882 – Christ Church, Ballyculter, Co. Down

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew The original church was built in 1629 by Valentine Payne and there is an inscription on the bell to Elizabeth Payne, wife of Valentine. It was restored – renovated...