Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Dublin

28 January 2010

1815 – 11-12 Upper Main Street, Lucan, Co. Dublin

A pair of substantial former domestic buildings which, though partly altered, retain their original proportions and dominant presence in the streetscape. Valuable interior fragments.

28 January 2010

1961 – Journey’s End, Howth, Co. Dublin

Architect: Andrew Devane Built by Andrew Devane of Robinson Keefe Devane as a family home for himself. This was a stunning modern house on a magnificent site overlooking Dublin bay, perched on 300...

28 January 2010

1823 – St Andrew’s Church of Ireland, Lucan, Co. Dublin

A prominently sited church which acts as a landmark in the village. According to Edward McParland, in James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (1985), St. Andrew’s may have been based on a design by James...

28 January 2010

1936 – St Patrick’s Church, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Architect: John J. Robinson Large modern church built to replace an earlier building. The interior is very dark, sombre and not very uplifting.

28 January 2010

1910 – Carnegie Library, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Architect: Anthony Scott & William Scott A fine little library originally endowed by Andrew Carnegie, and the result of an architectural competition in 1908. Designed by the father and son firm, the main...

28 January 2010

1852 – Railway Station, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Railway stations on this line to Belfast (Dublin Connolly, Malahide, Drogheda, Dundalk) are of a high quality with good quality ironwork and brick buildings. Skerries is no different, although it has been much...

28 January 2010

1872 – Methodist Church, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Simple little church with gothic detailing. The main façade has a simple arched doorway with a small rose window. The side onto the small laneway has paired single light arched windows.

28 January 2010

1870 – Hamilton Monument, Skerries, Co. Dublin

A small little obelisk commemorating a local landowner. This simple monument would benefit from some landscaping – perhaps a larger traffic island to allow people to approach it.

28 January 2010

1865 – Church of Ireland, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Architect: J.E. Rogers A gothic revival church commissioned by Lord Holmpatrick and sited close to the older and now ruined church and churchyard. The building has quite an austere exterior despite its off-centre...