Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Dublin

27 January 2010

1865 – Mariners Church, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland / Raffles Brown Originally the principal Church of Ireland in the town, the Mariners Church, now the Maritime Museum, was built in two stages – 1837 and 1865. The original...

27 January 2010

1854 – Former Railway Station, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Opened in 1842 by the Dublin & Kingstown Railway Company, with further works in 1854, this is the third building along the waterfront by John Skipton Mulvany. Built over...

27 January 2010

1862 – Presbyterian Church, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Andrew Heiton The third church designed by Scottish architect Andrew Heiton in a French Gothic in Dublin. The other two are Findlater’s Church on Parnell Square, and Christ Church Presbyterian in Rathgar....

27 January 2010

1820 – Sexton’s Cottage, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Adjacent to the school and the local Church of Ireland, this is an attractive little house with unusual detailing above the upper windows.

27 January 2010

1890 – Bank of Ireland, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Imposing 19th century bank built in red sandstone, brick and terracotta mouldings. The ground floor with its large round-headed windows and doorways gives the impression of a recessed arcade due to the deep-set...

27 January 2010

1871 – Former Royal Bank, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Charles Geoghegan Imposing 19th century bank (No. 102 Upper Georges Street) now in use as a commercial premises. The building has a high quality stone façade at street level. Possibly designed by...

27 January 2010

1973 – St Michael’s Church, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: C.J. McCarthy / Sean Rothery, Pearse McKenna, Naois O’Dowd In 1968, the fine Gothic church design by Dublin City Architect C.J. MaCarthy, himself the son of leading church architect J.J. McCarthy, burned...

27 January 2010

1899 – Former Fire Station, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Now in use as an enterprise centre, the former Fire Station of the Borough is less ornate than similar buildings being constructed in Dublin city centre at this time, notably those by C.J...

27 January 2010

1900 – Queen Victoria Fountain, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Erected in Dún Laoghaire in 1900 to commemorate the visit to Ireland of Queen Victoria, and seriously damaged in the 1980s, this fountain was recently restored. The fountain was one of a large...