Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Dublin

27 January 2010

1860 – St. John the Evangelist, Mounttown, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland Designed as a Church of Ireland, and originally opened for public worship on 23 May 1860; consecrated 16 June 1864, it is now used by a conservative Catholic group who...

26 January 2010

1830 – Monkstown Church of Ireland, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple & John McCurdy Originally built in 1789, but re-modelled in 1830 by John Semple, the Church of Ireland in Monkstown is an extravagant piece of 19th century church architecture. Extended...

26 January 2010

1913 – Former Courthouse, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Un-assuming little building built as the Court of Petty Sessions – public entrance at one end, and a room for the judge behind the bench.

26 January 2010

1820 – Former School, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Adjacent to the Church of Ireland, and now used as a community centre, this little school opens out on to the main street of the village as well as the forecourt of the...

26 January 2010

1795 – Church of Ireland, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

The church which dates from 1795 has had two enlargements. The first was in the 1820s when the tower and spire were added. There were some “improvements” by Welland & Gillespie in 1865....

26 January 2010

1583 – Rathfarnham Castle, Co. Dublin

The date of the foundation of the Castle is uncertain, but recent research would suggest 1583 as the most likely date. It was built by Adam Loftus, a Yorkshireman. The Castle has a...

26 January 2010

1886 – St. Mary’s Dominican Church & Convent, Tallaght, Co. Dublin

Architect: George C. Ashlin Detached gable-fronted Gothic Revival church, built 1886 – design published in 1883. The relationship to the priory to the north was not built as illustrated. It has a seven-bay...

22 January 2010

1832 – St. Laurence’s Church of Ireland, Chapelizod, Co. Dublin

Built in 1832, the little church has a much older tower, dating from the fourteenth century, that was remodelled in 1859.

22 January 2010

1846 – Railway Station, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

A handsome Tudor Revival station building, typical of mid nineteenth-century railway architecture, and similar to the former Hazelhatch and Celbridge Station. Described in The Irish Railway Gazette of 20 July 1846 as “The...