Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Dublin

26 January 2010

1820 – Former School, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Adjacent to the Church of Ireland, and now used as a community centre, this little school opens out on to the main street of the village as well as the forecourt of the...

26 January 2010

1795 – Church of Ireland, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

The church which dates from 1795 has had two enlargements. The first was in the 1820s when the tower and spire were added. There were some “improvements” by Welland & Gillespie in 1865....

26 January 2010

1583 – Rathfarnham Castle, Co. Dublin

The date of the foundation of the Castle is uncertain, but recent research would suggest 1583 as the most likely date. It was built by Adam Loftus, a Yorkshireman. The Castle has a...

26 January 2010

1886 – St. Mary’s Dominican Church & Convent, Tallaght, Co. Dublin

Architect: George C. Ashlin Detached gable-fronted Gothic Revival church, built 1886 – design published in 1883. The relationship to the priory to the north was not built as illustrated. It has a seven-bay...

22 January 2010

1832 – St. Laurence’s Church of Ireland, Chapelizod, Co. Dublin

Built in 1832, the little church has a much older tower, dating from the fourteenth century, that was remodelled in 1859.

22 January 2010

1846 – Railway Station, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

A handsome Tudor Revival station building, typical of mid nineteenth-century railway architecture, and similar to the former Hazelhatch and Celbridge Station. Described in The Irish Railway Gazette of 20 July 1846 as “The...

22 January 2010

776 – Round Tower, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Well preserved 8th century round tower that acts as a focal point for the area. Acknowledged as one of the oldest and best preserved in the country, it is 84 feet high and...

22 January 2010

1789 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland The present St. John’s Church was built in 1789 and substantially extended in 1854 by Joseph Welland. The medieval church which stood on this site was demolished in 1785 to...

22 January 2010

1879 – Alms Houses Terrace, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Fine terrace of stone cottages in the old centre of Clondalkin, opposite the round tower and alongside the Church of Ireland. Constructed in 1879 in memory of Reverend David John Reade and this...