Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Dublin

22 January 2010

1832 – St. Laurence’s Church of Ireland, Chapelizod, Co. Dublin

Built in 1832, the little church has a much older tower, dating from the fourteenth century, that was remodelled in 1859.

22 January 2010

1846 – Railway Station, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

A handsome Tudor Revival station building, typical of mid nineteenth-century railway architecture, and similar to the former Hazelhatch and Celbridge Station. Described in The Irish Railway Gazette of 20 July 1846 as “The...

22 January 2010

776 – Round Tower, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Well preserved 8th century round tower that acts as a focal point for the area. Acknowledged as one of the oldest and best preserved in the country, it is 84 feet high and...

22 January 2010

1789 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland The present St. John’s Church was built in 1789 and substantially extended in 1854 by Joseph Welland. The medieval church which stood on this site was demolished in 1785 to...

22 January 2010

1879 – Alms Houses Terrace, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Fine terrace of stone cottages in the old centre of Clondalkin, opposite the round tower and alongside the Church of Ireland. Constructed in 1879 in memory of Reverend David John Reade and this...

22 January 2010

1862 – Immaculate Conception Church, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Caldbeck The site for the Church and adjoining Convent was donated by the Calbeck Family of Moyle Park, Clondalkin. The foundation stone was laid in 1857 and the completed Church was...

22 January 2010

1912 – Library, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Architect: T.J. Byrne Far and away the best building in the Clondalkin area, the library of 1912 is a delightful Arts and Crafts design. A mixture of stone, brickwork and render, the buildings...

22 January 2010

1959 – North Terminal, Dublin Airport

Architect: Department of Transport and Power Interesting little mid-century modern building with sculpted roof profile. Now in use as offices. The original terminal was planned to handle a maximum of 250,000 passengers per...

22 January 2010

1937 – Dublin Airport

Architect: Desmond FitzGerald The original Dublin airport teminal was the most important pre-war Irish building in the International Style. Designed by a team of architects within the Office of Public Works led by...