Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Dublin

22 January 2010

1959 – North Terminal, Dublin Airport

Architect: Department of Transport and Power Interesting little mid-century modern building with sculpted roof profile. Now in use as offices. The original terminal was planned to handle a maximum of 250,000 passengers per...

22 January 2010

1937 – Dublin Airport

Architect: Desmond FitzGerald The original Dublin airport teminal was the most important pre-war Irish building in the International Style. Designed by a team of architects within the Office of Public Works led by...

21 January 2010

1845 – Church of The Navity, Chapelizod, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Bourke Built in 1845 and only costing £2,500, Chapelizod Church is an auster gothic building over a lofty crypt to raise it above the flood plain of the river Liffey which...

21 January 2010

1844 – Courthouse, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Fine small stone courthouse with courtroom lit by three round-headed windows.

21 January 2010

1891 – National Irish Bank, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: Godfrey W. Ferguson Terraced four-bay two-storey limestone faced bank, built 1891, with a fine tripartite bow window. But the real job of the facade is the front door; a deep eliptical headed...

21 January 2010

1905 – Carnegie Library, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: George L. O’Connor Built in 1905 on a prominent corner site, the Carnegie Free library was designed by George L. O’Connor. Its dominant feature is the corbelled circular in plan, bartizan clock...

21 January 2010

1860 – Ardgillan Glasshouse, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Dating from around 1860, this fine and recently restored glasshouse is made of timber rather than cast iron. The glasshouses are set in the gardens of Ardgillan Castle and are open to the...

21 January 2010

1860 – Station Master’s House, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

A fine little house sited beside the railway station and built for the Station Master. Similar to other station master’s houses on this line, notably Malahide and Skerries. Photographic Copyright 2006 Gerry Byrne

21 January 2010

1859 – St George’s School, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sandham Symes St George’s Parish (Church of Ireland) school, Hampton Street, Balbriggan was provided in 1859 by George Woods of Milverton Hall to the design of Sandham Symes.