Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Galway

26 June 2014

1603 – St. Augustine’s Fort, Galway

Work began on the Augustinian foundation in Galway in the early 1500s. Located outside the city walls, the lands were seized in 1546 following the dissolution of the monasteries. In 1601, Sir Josias...

05 June 2014

1876 – Royal Marine Hotel, Salthill, Co. Galway

Architect: Edward Townsend Small hotel, with two floors and dormered attic designed by Galway engineer Edward Townsend. Townsend was Professor of Civil Engineering at Queen’s College, Galway for about fifty years.

01 May 2013

1863 – Jesuit Church, Galway

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Cruciform gothic church adjacent to the Jesuit College. Designed by Samuel Ussher Roberts, originally the intention was to have the church and school built to designs of J.J. McCarthy....

15 April 2013

1720 – Menlough Castle, Galway

A sixteenth-century tower house which has been altered and enlarged at various periods – notably with a two-bay four-storey block of c.1720. A 17th century tower house with substantial additions. In 1786 Wilson...

15 April 2013

1850 – University College Galway

Architect: John B. Keane Unusual university building, originally built as one of the Queen’s Colleges in Ireland, a fully enclosed quadrangle in a Gothick style. The quad is entered through an archway under...

15 April 2013

1851 – Railway Station, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: George Wilkinson Designed by George Wilkinson for the Midland Great Western Railway in a picturesque Tudor, complete with a variety of tall chimneys and crisp stonework. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith...

15 April 2013

1899 – Carmelite Abbey, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: W.H. Byrne Church of 1820, by an unknown architect, under the supervision of Fr Gannon, the superior at the time, who also supervised the construction of the monastery and the convent. Renovated...

15 April 2013

1938 – St. Colman’s Church, Gort, Co. Galway

Architect: William Hague / Ralph H. Byrne St. Colman’s has been under construction, or at least renovation, for over one hundred years. The original church of 1828 was by either James or George...

15 April 2013

1864 – Convent of Mercy Chapel, Society St., Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: James F. Kempster Gothic chapel designed by the County Surveypr for the Sisters of Mercy convent. The spire on the short tower is quite distinctive. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J....