Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Galway

15 April 2013

1931 – Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Creagh, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Built from fabric of earlier church of c.1850 from Custume Barracks in Athlone, that was dismantled (to be replaced by a new church) and extended by Ralph H. Byrne....

15 April 2013

1833 – St Brigid’s Psychiatric Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: William Murray / James F. Kempster Formerly known as Ballinasloe District Asylum. Originally designed by William Murray, as a “1st class” asylum with accommodation for 150 patients. Later extended by James F....

15 April 2013

1863 – Railway Hotel, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: James F. Kempster Designed by the County Surveyor for the East Riding of Co. Galway – Kempster got the post aged twenty-one and held it for fifty-three years. A small Tudor-Gothic building,...

10 April 2013

1881 – Chapel, Kylemore, Co. Galway

Architect: J.F. Fuller Memorial chapel commissioned by Mitchell Henry as a family mausoleum upon the death of his wife in 1875. Located on the lake shore some distance from the castle is highly...

05 April 2013

1849 – Franciscan Church, Galway, Co. Galway

Architect: James Cusack Started in 1835 and not completed until 1849, in a neo-classical style with a crisp Doric portico. Possibly a remodelling of an earlier church.

01 April 2013

1880 – St Raphael’s College, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Former Convent of Mercy complex, now is use as a school. Later wing by W.H. Byrne & Son. The chapel is now in use as school sports hall. Quite a...

22 January 2013

1842 – St. Patrick’s Church. Forster St., Galway

No longer in use as a parish church, a newer building has been constructed in the grounds alongside. The outline of the building is now much simplified, the ornate and unusual tower has...

22 January 2013

1820 – Moyode Castle, Athenry, Co. Galway

About 3.5 km east of Athenry, Co. Galway, once the country seat of a wealthy Galway family called Persse, and constructed circa 1820.. The ruins can still be seen today. In the early...

22 January 2013

1819 – Salmon Weir Bridge, Galway

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison Previously known as the Jail Bridge, as the city jail was on the site of where the Cathedral now is. A fine gently humped five-span bridge. Attribute to Morrison...