Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Galway

14 January 2013

1862 – Lenaboy Castle, Galway

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts House built for Captain O’Hara at a reported cost of £3,500 in the Dublin Builder. Later taken over by the Sisters of Mercy and ran as an Industrial School,...

14 January 2013

1893 – Corrib Viaduct, Galway

In the 1890s, the Midland Great Western Railway Company was provided with a government grant of £264,000 to build a line from Galway across Connemara to Clifden. The line was opened to Clifden...

13 January 2013

1836 – Bank of Ireland, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Large branch bank for Bank of Ireland with outbuildings and living accommodation. Still in use today with extensions to the banking hall from the 1920s. Source: Album of surveys of all the branches...

13 January 2013

1639 – Tholsel, Galway

Demolished around 1822, construction started in 1639.

09 November 2012

1353 – Kilconnell Abbey, Co. Galway

A Franciscan friary founded in 1353, by William O’Kelly, Lord of Ui Maine. The remaining building which are in good condition , consist of a church with nave, choir, south transeot and aisle,...

09 November 2012

1320c – Claddagh Castle, Dunmore, Co. Galway

Illustrated as largely intact in 1794, the castle is now much decayed. Probably built after the previous castle was burned in 1315, it is a massive four storey tower on a motte. It...

09 November 2012

1241 – Athenry Abbey, Co. Galway

In 1241, the Dominican Abbey was founded by Meiler de Bermingham, 2nd Lord of Athenry. Built over many years, the refectory, which is gone, was built around 1265, with the chapel completed before...

09 October 2012

1190 – Knockmoy Abbey, Abbeyknockmoy, Co. Galway

The Cistercian Abbey of Knockmoy was founded in 1189-90 by the King of Connacht (Cathal Crovdearg O Connor, who was buried there in 1244) in the years 1189-1190. Knockmoy is rare in that...

06 October 2012

1779 – Tyrone House, Kilcolgan, Co. Galway

Architect: John Roberts Built for Christopher St George, ‘reputedly to the design of John Roberts, of Waterford’. Described by Rev. D.A. Beaufort, in 1787 or 1788, as ‘large and new but very bleak...