Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Galway

13 January 2013

1639 – Tholsel, Galway

Demolished around 1822, construction started in 1639.

09 November 2012

1353 – Kilconnell Abbey, Co. Galway

A Franciscan friary founded in 1353, by William O’Kelly, Lord of Ui Maine. The remaining building which are in good condition , consist of a church with nave, choir, south transeot and aisle,...

09 November 2012

1320c – Claddagh Castle, Dunmore, Co. Galway

Illustrated as largely intact in 1794, the castle is now much decayed. Probably built after the previous castle was burned in 1315, it is a massive four storey tower on a motte. It...

09 November 2012

1241 – Athenry Abbey, Co. Galway

In 1241, the Dominican Abbey was founded by Meiler de Bermingham, 2nd Lord of Athenry. Built over many years, the refectory, which is gone, was built around 1265, with the chapel completed before...

09 October 2012

1190 – Knockmoy Abbey, Abbeyknockmoy, Co. Galway

The Cistercian Abbey of Knockmoy was founded in 1189-90 by the King of Connacht (Cathal Crovdearg O Connor, who was buried there in 1244) in the years 1189-1190. Knockmoy is rare in that...

06 October 2012

1779 – Tyrone House, Kilcolgan, Co. Galway

Architect: John Roberts Built for Christopher St George, ‘reputedly to the design of John Roberts, of Waterford’. Described by Rev. D.A. Beaufort, in 1787 or 1788, as ‘large and new but very bleak...

29 August 2012

1815 – Clifden Castle, Clifden, Co. Galway

Constructed by John D’arcy who constructed the town of Clifden itself. Following his death in 1839, the estate went bankrupt as a result of debts incurred during the Great Famine and in 1850...

16 August 2012

1858 – St. Michael’s Church, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin Originally was to be designed after a competition by J.J. McCarthy in 1846. The project was abandoned due to the Famine. A revised designed by Augustus Welby Northmore...

15 August 2012

1843 – St. John the Evangelist Church, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Joseph Welland Erected in 1840 on top of a Norman motte. Designed by the architect Joseph Welland with a fine pinnacled tower. Destroyed by fire in 1899, but restored shortly afterwards.