Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Galway

13 January 2012

1831 – Bank of Ireland, Eyre Square, Galway

Architect: James Cusack Still in use today, with further extension and alterations by Millar & Symes in 1905. Of interest are the facilities accorded to the Branch Manager – he clearly was expected...

13 March 2011

2007 – Galway City Museum, Co. Galway

Architect: Office of Public Works Galway City Museum was officially opened in April 2007. The building was designed by the Office of Public Works and is a Galway City Council initiative to advance...

29 November 2010

1881 – High Altar Convent of Mercy, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: Earley and Powells Coloured elevation, side elevation, vertical section and half plan for altarpiece, featuring carved statues of St Patrick and St Bridget in niches at either side. Also includes carved relief...

08 October 2010

2010 – Drive Through Restaurant, Briarhill, Galway

Architect: Paul Dillon Architects On this project the challenge was how to build a drive though restaurant on a site just off the M6 motorway on the eastern edge of Galway City. In...

24 August 2010

1610 – Portumna Castle, Co. Galway

A semi-fortified house that was built before 1618 by Richard de Burgo, the 4th Earl of Clanricarde. It was the main seat of the de Burgo family for over 200 years, until it...

03 May 2010

2003 – Galway Mayo Institute of Technology, Galway

Architect: Murray O’Laoire Architects The main goal of the project was to create a new structure with a stronger identity and a more contemporary, functional architectural configuration. The new building is made up...

30 December 2009

1572 – Aughnanure Castle, Oughterard, Co. Galway

The castle was built by the O’Flahertys in the 16th century, one of Connacht’s most notable lord families. Aughnanure is one of over 200 tower houses in County Galway, constructed mainly by Gaelic...

30 December 2009

1520 – Dunguaire Castle, Kinvara, Co. Galway

Dunguaire Castle, the principal towerhouse of the O’hEidhin clan, is located to the east of the village. This towerhouse is believed to have been built on or close to the site of RĂ¡th...

30 December 2009

1965 – Cathedral of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and St Nicholas, Galway

Architect: Robinson Keefe The last large Roman Catholic cathedral to be built in Ireland, and quite possibly the oddest in design. With Spanish overtones, and constructed in limestone, the cathedral is a weird...