Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Kerry

06 June 2013

1669 – Crotta House, Kilflynn, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison Original house of 1669, owned by the Ponsonby family. Additions of 1819 in a Jacobean style to the existing house by Sir Richard Morrison, who added gables and the curvilinear...

26 May 2013

1880c – Royal Hotel, Valentia, Co. Kerry

Now described as a Bed & Breakfast with a barrather than a hotel, the Royal is sited by the quayside on Valentia Island. Originally constructed circa 1880 and later extended in the 1930s....

24 October 2012

1890 – St. James Church, Killorglin, Co. Kerry

Architect: Walter G. Doolin Constructed after an architectural competition to replace an earlier church of J.J. McCarthy from 1860. The earlier church was a mixture of Early English & Decorated Gothic. As with...

22 October 2012

1933 – Bridge, Kenmare, Co. Kerry

Architect: L.G. Mouchel & Partners Designed by London enginners, L.G. Mouchel & Partners in association with an Irish-based engineer Pierce Purcell. It is a reinforced concrete bridge comprising 2 150-ft parabolic arches passing...

21 October 2012

1885 – Railway Bridge, Killorglin, Co. Kerry

Architect: S.G. Frazer The bridge was erected in 1885 as part of the Farranfore to Renard railway line which was closed in 1960. It is known locally as the Metal Bridge and is...

15 October 2012

1860s – Derryquin Castle, Sneem, Co. Kerry

Architect: J.F. Fuller Designed by James Franklin Fuller, built for the Bland family. The main block was of three storeys, with a four-storey octagonal tower running through its centre. The entrance door was...

15 October 2012

1878 – Killarney House, Co. Kerry

Architect: George Devey Designed as a replacement for Kenmare House of 1726 as the seat of the Earls of Kenmare. Legend has it that the site was selected by Queen Victoria on her...

18 August 2012

1877 – Cahernane House, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: J.F. Fuller Once one of the smaller country houses of the Herbert, Earls of Pembroke. Originally known as Cahirnane, it is a fairly plain house with gabled and large victorian plate glass...

11 March 2012

1812 – Ballyheigue Castle, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison & William Vitruvius Morrison Long rambling castle sited across a hillside. Burnt during 1921, a wing was recently restored. The grounds are now a golf course. Interestingly while both illustrations...