Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Kildare

01 April 2014

1846 – Railway Station, Newbridge, Co. Kildare

Newbridge Railway Station was opened in 1846 by the Great Southern and Western Railway line reached the town. Newbridge was then an important military centre, having its own cavalry barracks and being less...

01 April 2014

1900 – Post Office, Curragh Camp, Co. Kildare

Architect: Robert Cochrane Post office in the centre of the Curragh military camp. The building has a series of large round-headed windows on the main level, the larger windows being in the public...

14 March 2014

1780s – The Abbey, Celbridge, Co. Kildare

Celbridge Abbey was built by Bartholomew Van Homrigh, Lord Mayor of Dublin, in 1697. It was his daughter, Esther Van Homrigh who has been immortalised as ‘Vanessa’ by Jonathan Swift. Swift came regularly...

11 March 2014

1882 – Glebe House, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare

Architect: W.I. Chambers Design by William Isaac Chambers selected in limited competition. Published in The Irish Builder, March 1 1882. “Our illustration represents the new Glebe House now in course of erection at...

18 February 2014

1731 – Furness House, Naas, Co. Kildare

Architect: Francis Bindon The 3-bay centre block is of cut ashlar limestone, with pilasters and lions around the door. Attributed to Francis Bindon. In 1783 two wings were added and in 1795 a...

05 June 2013

1847 – St Peter’s & Paul Church, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare

Architect: William Deane Butler / William Hague Designed in 1846 by William Deane Butler, but never completed. The interiors were instead completed by William Hague circa 1880. The original intention was for twin...

20 September 2012

1302 – Franciscan Friary, Castledermot, Co.Kildare

Founded in 1302 by Thomas, Lord of Ossory and plundered in 1317. The church was originally a rectangle with transepts added in the 1320s. The monastery was suppressed in 1541. To the south...

19 July 2012

1756 – Design for Bridge, Carton, Co. Kildare

Architect: Isaac Ware James, 20th Earl of Kildare, consulted London architect Isaac Ware during the 1750s. Ware designed the bridge at Carton, the design of which was published in his Complete Body of...

23 April 2012

1859 – Water-house and tank, Sallins, Co. Kildare

Architect: Fine brick water-house with cast-iron tank above for the provision of water to railway engines in the steam era.

Pages:1234Next »