Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Kildare

08 January 2010

1927 – Garda Station, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Architect: Board of Works Combined Garda Station and house for the local Sargent. Probably built by the Board of Public Works between the 1930-50s, when this was a standard arrangement in small towns...

08 January 2010

1860 – Geraldine Hall, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Architect: E. McAlister Geraldine Hall, designed by E. McAlister and originally built as a Church of Ireland School. It retains many important early or original features and materials, including some diamond-leaded fenestration, timber...

08 January 2010

1840 – St. Mary’s Church, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Work stated in 1834 on a new parish church for Maynooth and in 1840 the new parish church of St. Mary’s was consecrated. The Freeman’s journal described the ‘beautiful edifice… of the purest...

08 January 2010

1851 – St. Patrick’s Seminary, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin To appease the Irish bishops after the foundation of the three “godless” colleges in Dublin, Cork and Galway, a building grant of £30,000 was made available for Maynooth....

08 January 2010

1824 – St. Joseph’s Square, Maynooth College, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Maynooth College was founded in 1795 as a seminary for the education of priests. The College opened in the autumn of 1795 in a house recently built by John Stoyte, steward of the...

08 January 2010

1760 – Harbour House, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Interesting treatment on a mid eighteenth century house with the main entrance elevated to first floor level and acessed by a metal staircase.

08 January 2010

1630 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

St Mary’s Church of Ireland is, curiously, incorporated into the outer wall of St Patrick’s College, and was originally built as a private chapel for the castle. In 1248, it was made a...

08 January 2010

1203 – Maynooth Castle, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

In 1176 Strongbow granted the manor of Maynooth to Maurice Fitzgerald who erected a castle for protection against the native Irish. In 1426 the sixth Earl of Kildare enlarged and rebuilt the castle....

08 January 2010

1223 – St. Brigid’s Cathedral, Kildare, Co. Kildare

St. Brigid’s Cathedral, most recently rebuilt in the 19th century, stands on the original site of the nunnery founded by St. Brigid in the 5th century. It most likely occupies the site of...