Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Kilkenny

06 June 2014

1845 – St Patrick’s Church, Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Deane Butler The architect of Ballyragget Church, William Deane Butler, was responsible for quite a few churches in the Diocese of Ossory. He also designed the Cathedral and the Diocesan College....

03 June 2014

1782 – Kilkenny College, Kilkenny

Architect: Charles Vierpyl A long established school, opened in 1667 under the auspices of James Ormonde, first Duke of Ormonde, but possibly operated some years earlier. In the 1780s, a new school was...

25 March 2014

1884 – Design for St. Patrick’s Church, Kilkenny

Architect: Walter G. Doolin Unsuccessful entry in a limited competition to design a new church in 1884. By 1887, the Irish Builder was reporting that “owing to the lamented death of the late...

19 March 2014

1906 – Suir Railway Bridge, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker Dismantled railway bridge crossing the Suir outside Waterford, between counties Waterford and Kilkenny. Built in 1906 on the Mallow/Waterford line with 9 spans, for a total 1205 ft in...

18 March 2014

1906 – Barrow Railway Bridge, Co. Wexford

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker Built across the border of counties Wexford and Kilkenny between 1902 and 1906 to designs by Benjamin Baker, it is the longest railway bridge in Ireland at 2,131 feet...

20 February 2014

1877 – Thomastown Viaduct, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Charles R. Galwey Published in The Engineer, April 19 1879. Designed for the Waterford & Central Ireland Railway Company. The bridge originally opened in 1850 with a wooden central span of timber...

07 January 2014

1713 – Gowran Castle, Co. Kilkenny

The original Gowran Castle was built in the late 14th century by the Earls of Ormonde. Badly damaged in the Cromwellian wars and was all but a ruin when Charles Agar acquired a...

07 January 2014

1819 – Gowran Castle, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Robertson Designed and built by William Robertson for 2nd Viscount Clifden. between 1816 and 1819. The centrepiece of the building is the mainfront exhibiting expert masonry in locally-sourced Kilkenny limestone. Possibly...

07 January 2014

1802 – Castlecomer House, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: John Johnston The original Castlecomer House, the family seat of the Wandesfordes, was built in 1638. It was burned down during the battle of Castlecomer in 1798. A replacement and larger house...