Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Kilkenny

09 May 2010

2007 – Knocktopher Friary, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: ODOS Architects A friary extension and refurbishment in Co. Kilkenny, the project unifies friary and church with a new residential cloister. The original collection of extensions and lean to structures to the...

19 January 2010

1285 – St Canice’s Cathedral, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

The cathedral was built between 1202 and 1285 in an early English Gothic style out of the local limestone. Over the centuries, it has been restored and renovated many times notably by Sir...

19 January 2010

1225 – The Black Abbey, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Founded by William Marshall the Younger, for the Dominican Friars in 1225, the Black Abbey was also known as the Convent of the One and Undivided Trinity. It was suppressed in 1543, converted...

19 January 2010

1245 – St. Francis Abbey, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

The Franciscans came to Ireland in around 1226, and St Francis’s Abbey was founded sometime between 1231 April 1234. The first definite date for the abbey is October 15, 1245, when it received...

19 January 2010

1582 – Shee Alms House, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

The Shees were a wealthy merchant family in Kilkenny in the sixteenth century much like the Rothes who built Rothe House. In 1582, Sir Richard Shee founded the alms house ‘to accommodate twelve...

19 January 2010

1594 – Rothe House, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

In 1594 a wealthy merchant called John Rothe built this magnificent Tudor mansion. Second and third generation houses were built around the cobelled courtyards and a well dating to 1604. The fa├žade houses...

19 January 2010

1761 – Tholsel, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

The name “Tholsel” is derived from two old English words: “toll”, meaning tax; and “sael”, or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the middle ages it served as court house, custom-house,...

19 January 2010

1792 – Courthouse, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Robertson Kilkenny Courthouse formerly known as Grace’s Castle was originally a town house of the wealthy Grace family who leased the building to the crown in 1566. The building was used...

19 January 2010

1820 – Kilkenny Castle Stableyards, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Charles Verpyle A fine building across the street from the castle and grander than many public buildings in other towns in Ireland, the stables consist of two courtyards and buildings. The main...