Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Co. Kilkenny

19 January 2010

1792 – Courthouse, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Robertson Kilkenny Courthouse formerly known as Grace’s Castle was originally a town house of the wealthy Grace family who leased the building to the crown in 1566. The building was used...

19 January 2010

1820 – Kilkenny Castle Stableyards, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Charles Verpyle A fine building across the street from the castle and grander than many public buildings in other towns in Ireland, the stables consist of two courtyards and buildings. The main...

19 January 2010

1820 – St. John’s Priory, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Robertson Priory with medieval roots, much of the original church was demolished or incorporated into this small parish church. The Augustine priory was founded by William Le Mareschal in c.1220. In...

19 January 2010

1837 – Kilkenny Castle, Co. Kilkenny

Kilkenny Castle has been an important site since Strongbow constructed the first building here, a wooden tower in the 12th century. William the Earl Marshall built the first stone castle on the site...

19 January 2010

1847 – Old Railway Station, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Captain Moorsom & Sancton Wood Designed by Captain Moorsom and built a year later in a modified form by Sancton Wood, the architect of Heuston Station in Dublin, the old station is...

08 January 2010

1857 – St. Mary’s Cathedral, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Deane Butler Kilkenny has two cathedrals, the older St Canice’s belonging to the Church of Ireland and St Mary’s for the catholic faith. Both are fairly similar in size, although the...

08 January 2010

1870 – Former Bank of Ireland, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Sandham Symes A large fine Classically-composed bank building on an awkward corner site, the two end bays are curved to fit the site. It successfully negotiates an awkward corner site with elevations...

08 January 2010

1905 – Former Provincial Bank, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Batchelor & Hicks A former branch of the Provincial Bank,which after a series of bank mergers in Ireland in the mid 20th century became part of Allied Irish Banks. A simple building...

08 January 2010

1899 – St. Patricks’s Church, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: S.F. Hynes Designed in 1896-9 by the Cork based architect S.F. Hynes, St. Patrick’s is a simple late Gothic revival church with a transept reserved for the nuns of the adjacent convent.